Lacrosse Unable To Generate Offense In Season Opener

Ryan Jones, Assistant Sports Editor

It is a long season. One game early on rarely tells the story of the whole season. Central Connecticut, however, would probably like a second shot at their season opener after falling to Holy Cross in a 20-3 blowout.

The story of the game could be told in the shots. Over the two periods of play, the Crusaders took 47 shots against CCSU’s defense. The Blue Devils comparatively took 10. While there were 36 shots on goal for Holy Cross but only six for CCSU. Tight defense, missed opportunities or even just an off day; whatever the reason, this type of disparity on the offensive side of the ball does not lead to winning games and the Blue Devils will likely have to scheme better in their upcoming matches.

Of the three goals scored by Central Connecticut on the day, the second was one a little more special than the other two. Jessica Denike, a freshman midfielder from Putnam Valley, NY, scored her first goal as a Blue Devil on a free position attempt with nine minutes left in the first half.

Head coach Betsy Vendel said before the season that the large group of freshmen would be getting some serious playing time and such was certainly the case against Holy Cross.

Molly Coogan scored first for CCSU off an assist from Morgan Sinton. Last year, Sinton led the Blue Devils with 13 assists.

The last goal of the game for the Blue Devils came from Carissa Brown, scoring on another free position attempt. The Blue Devils converted on two of their three free position attempts but did not get nearly as many opportunities as they gave away.

The Crusaders were given nearly five times as many free position attempts (14), but luckily for the Blue Devils, were only able to convert five of them, thanks to some impressive saves from senior Jackie Branthover.

An interesting note to take away from the blowout comes from the goalie box. With three goalies on the roster for the Blue Devils, Branthover was in the net for CCSU for the entirety of the 60 minute game over freshman Emily Erne and sophomore Cooper Cowdin.

Vendel has faith in all three of goalies on the roster, so it will be interesting to see if the younger candidates get meaningful minutes over the course of the season. Branthover started in 11 of Central’s games last season, but was beaten out by then-freshman Meagan Allard for a starting role in the final five games of the season (Allard is no longer on the team).

If there is a game the Blue Devils could turn things around in, there is not much of a better stage than their next opponents, the Hartford Hawks.

The only out of conference win last season for Central Connecticut came in a 19-4 fashion against the Hawks, who finished last season 1-12. Things are looking more of the same for Hartford this season, losing against Army in their first game of the year 22-4. The Blue Devils will look to capitalize on that opportunity Wednesday in Hartford.