Academic Probation Isn’t The End Of Your College Dreams

Dan Fappiano, Layout Editor

No student wants to be placed on academic probation. Between the money and the late nights spent studying, seeing your GPA slip below 2.0 could spell the end of the road for some students. However, academic probation shouldn’t be the end of your dreams, but a realization that one mistake won’t change your entire life.

Entering the Fall 2018 semester, my GPA had slipped to a 1.64. I had failed one class, dropped two others and received just a C in my final two courses. I often felt as if my time at Central Connecticut was over. However, rather than let my GPA determine who I was going to be as a student, I buckled down and received a 3.32 GPA in the fall semester, earning my way out of academic probation.

At first, seeing that 1.64 was disheartening and made me feel like I didn’t belong at CCSU. However, I began to realize that there were multiple different outlets to help me remain in college.

I enrolled in academic advising through the university. Through weekly meetings with my advisor, I was able to create a healthy study schedule that allowed me to not fall too behind in my classes. With an actual academic strategy in place, I faced the fall semester more prepared than I had in any other point of my college career.

I also decided to enroll in mental health counseling through CCSU’s student wellness department. Through that outlet, I was able to express my emotions about being on academic probation. A counselor listened to my problems and was able to help me work through my fears and frustrations about my place at Central.

While both academic and mental counseling helped me reach my goals, the real reason I was able to get out of academic probation was because of my own hard work, which is what any CCSU student should feel if they are going through this predicament.

That student must realize that college is exactly what you make of it. If you believe that you deserve a strong college career that culminates into a Bachelor’s degree, it’s important that you put in the effort to achieve it. You can get all the help in the world, but it’s important to know that no one can do the work for you, and putting in the effort in the classroom is key.

However, if that seems daunting, just know that you’re at Central for a reason. The university recognizes your talent and ability and feels that you’re good enough to be a college graduate. It’s important that you realize that, too.

When I told my academic counselor that I got off probation, she wrote, “You had everything you needed to get off probation yourself, you just needed some help uncovering that.”

Let academic probation be that thing that lets you uncover how talented you really are. Your current GPA isn’t indicative of who you are as a student. Understand that probation isn’t the last straw, and receiving your college degree is just as probable as when you first enrolled.

You just have to put in the work.