Central Students Paint A Bright Future

Julia Conant, Staff Writer

CCSU student Arden Warinsky bases her paintings on dances performances. (credit – Adren Warinsky)

The Central Connecticut Art Gallery will open the Art Educators 2018 exhibition featuring the work of 14 CCSU art education students while showcasing the various techniques, mediums and styles students utilize.

Taking place on Thursday, Nov. 29, the Art Educators exhibition is held by the Central Art Gallery every fall, and it is a great opportunity for the students to receive recognition for their craft. Since the students are invited to display their work in the exhibition once they are a senior, having a spot in the show acts as an award for all of the hard work the students have put into their artwork since the beginning of their college career.

One of the students to be featured in the exhibition is Arden Warinsky. She will have two of her pieces displayed in the exhibition, entitled “Unity at Odds” and “Form.” Both pieces were inspired by dance routines put on by Dancentral and the Dance Education Program at CCSU. She bases her paintings off of reference photos taken during the dances.

“I have an equal amount of love for dancing and visual art and am inspired by finding ways to connect my two life passions,” Warinsky stated.

Regarding her painting “Unity At Odds” she said, “What initially struck me about the photograph, which was taken by Adam Tulloch, was the look of fear on the dancer’s faces and the way they were relying on each other, connected and yet turned away from one another. The dancers stand in solidarity and yet face different realities.”

Another student to be featured in the exhibition is Allison Rusgrove. Her self-portrait will be on display in the exhibition as well.

These two students and the twelve others who will be featured in the show will go on to be elementary and secondary art teachers in Connecticut. While they will begin teaching others to express themselves creatively, it’s important that they continue working on themselves and their own artwork.

“I think it is essential for art teachers to always continue working on their own craft and view themselves as lifelong learners,” Warinsky stated. “[This is] to ensure they continue to build fresh creative ideas for lessons and keep in touch with one of the fundamental reasons for becoming an art teacher in the first place: one’s love for creative expression.”

The opening reception for the show will be held on Nov. 29 from 4 to 7 p.m. in the art gallery on the second floor of Maloney Hall. The show will be on display until Dec. 6, and the art gallery hours of operation are Monday through Friday, from 1 to 4 p.m.