CCSU Commemorates Veterans In Award Ceremony

Isabella Chan

Central Connecticut and state officials came together to honor veterans.

Isabella Chan, Staff Writer

Highlighting their contribution to United States’ freedom, Central Connecticut honored local and student veterans at this year’s Veterans Day ceremony.

Three veterans, Corporal John E. “Jack” Truhan of the U.S. Marine Corps and CCSU students Specialist Joshua Barnett of the U.S. Army and Corporal Mike Curiel of the U.S. Marine Corps were spotlighted at the ceremony.

Truhan was honored with the 2018 Veterans Public Service Award for Excellence, while Barnett was honored with the CCSU Student Veteran Award for Excellence and Scholarship and Curiel the Great Elm VFW 9945 Wethersfield Veterans Scholarship.

Many of those in attendance were family members and friends, some of whom happened to be veterans themselves. State officials were also present, including Senator Richard Blumenthal, Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty and others. Alongside them were CCSU President Dr. Zulma Toro and Connecticut State College and Universities President Mark Ojakian.

The ceremony began with a “posting of the colors” and singing of the national anthem by CCSU student Alexander O’Neill.

Dr. Toro then began awarding the honorees.

“Veterans serve in several capacities all over the world, in war times and peace,” Dr. Toro stated. “They make it their duty to protect and defend the values of this country. Today we recognize their achievements, reflect on their stories of sacrifice, and most important we thank them for their service.”

Senator Blumenthal praised Central for its efforts to honor veterans “appropriately” and help them post-service.

“A lot of folks are shopping at malls, taking the day off, but [Central is] marking this day in a way that’s truly appropriate, by honoring three great individuals. Each one extraordinary in the contributions [they] have made while in service and then afterward. And that is what is really remarkable,” Blumenthal stated.

All of the honorees play active roles in the community since their return home and have helped in many ways beyond their military service.

Truhan, a New Britain native, is a member of the New Britain Hardware City Detachment of the U.S. Marine Corps League and serves in the Honor Guard as a rifleman for the U.S. Armed Forces.

He continues to be a longtime volunteer for the community, supporting “Roses for Marines,” the Toys for Tots campaigns, and previously served as a Parks and Recreations commissioner and a board member.

Curiel extends his time in the community by being a member of the Formula Society of Automotive Engineers, the Entrepreneurship Club and Central’s president of the Christian Students. He hopes to create his own manufacturing company and give back to the City of Bristol.

Barnett, CCSU student majoring in Criminology, volunteers for the American Legion while balancing a part-time job and his studies.

According to Dr. Toro, a hundred veterans enrolled in classes this academic year at the university. She thanked Central’s Office of Veterans Affairs for this accomplishment, which works to help veterans transition from military life to campus culture.

John Lynch, a former Sergeant of the Marine Core, appreciated Central for bringing veterans into the classroom.

“It’s more than just a personal thing, to look across a classroom and see someone who actually served is important,” Lynch said.